- Memory loss- forgets assignments, names, telephone numbers etc.,
- Difficulty performing familiar tasks- Eg: difficulty in preparing a meal, may forget how to play a game
- Problems with language: may forget simple words. May describe an item by what it’s used for rather than by its name.
- Disorientation of time, place: may become lost on their own street, not knowing where they are, how they got there, or how to get back home
- Poor/ decreased judgment: may dress inappropriately. Wearing several shirts/blouses on a warm day/ little clothing in cold. May show poor judgment such as giving away large sums of money to telemarketers
- Problems with abstract thinking: unusual difficulty performing complex mental tasks such as balancing a check book
- Misplacing things: example: keeping iron in freezer
- Changes in mood or behavior: exhibit rapid mood swings form calm to tears to anger for no apparent reason
- Changes in personality: personality may change drastically, becoming extremely confused, suspicious, fearful or dependent on a family member
- Loss of initiative: may become passive, sitting in front of TV for hours or sleeping more than usual, may not want to do usual activities and require cues and prompting to become involved.
For more information refer www.alz.org