* Motivation energizes, directs and suggests behavior
* Maslow described a hierarchy of needs. people must satisfy lower needs, such as hunger and thirst, before satisfying safety needs, social needs, self esteem needs and self actualization needs
* needs arise from States of biological or social deficiency. Drives are psychological states that create arousal and motivate behaviors to satisfy needs.
* Drives help maintain homeostasis.
* people are motivated by incentives
* people who are high in self efficacy and have high achievement motive are likely to set challenging but attainable goals for themselves.
* people have a need to belong